Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Run in Kensington Gardens

With the sun shining and the skies blue, I decided that it was the perfect morning to find my London running route.  I checked the map, put on my running shoes and heading from Shepherd's Bush tube station towards Notting Hill; I was on my way to one of the royal parks and gardens that London boasts: Kensington Garden. A 30 minute walk got me to the Western and Northern-most tip of the gardens.  Diana, Princess of Wales', Memorial Playground site happened to be the start of my hour's running loop. I ran south passing in the (very) far distance on my right, Kensington Palace, home to Princess Diana of Wales and birthplace of Queen Victoria (first used as a royal palace in 1689!), making a left at the Palace Gate. I continued my journey passing a grand memorial statue to Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert, making my way past public tennis courts on my right and the famed Serpentine body of water on my left.  And into Hyde Park I ran. At some point, I made a loop, running past Victoria Gate, Marble Arche Gate with the ornamental water gardens with fountains, known as the Italian Gardens on my left. I ended the first part of my 2 loop running session with the sounds of children coming from Diana's Playground. 

I reckon, with 2x the loop, I ran about 10km...A good average!

And a history lesson on the run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment