Saturday, July 4, 2009

Adieu New York!

So long, Manahatta

So long, my dependable red line; my lucky silver express.
Take me to far off corners-- I only have 2 bucks.
Honk to me Mr. Taxi man; let me know if you are free!
Curry Hill or Murray Hill,
the 6-train will get me there.
Brighton Beach and Mercer street;
new sights to be seen!

So long, the long, long walks in Riverside.
I'll miss you, my 100th street willow,
And possibly you, Mr. Turkish fruit-man.
Speak to me Malcom X,
and you, Kim's fish lady.
Yo hablo Espanol!

So long, my little West Village.
Sweet Revenge. Jazz at Fat Cats.
Adieu Big Nicks and Bearded Pappa.
Lil' Frankies and Joe's will have to wait.
I'll take a Choux for the road;
no need to be late.

Good bye slooowww and steady Williamsburg,
I'll pocket your vintage and pinch your music.
Inspire me from a far, Miss street-artist.
Will hunt for you across the seas
or trace your mediocrity.

Miss me Perry Street. And you, Christopher and Commerce!
Uptown and Downtown.
Good-bye, Empire with your crunchy salmon avocado.
East side and West side!
Book stores and shoe stores!
Hello Strand. Or is it, stranger?
I'll miss you when you're gone.

Good-bye constant cacophony,
Good-bye sorrow eyes,
I'll see you somewhere, sometime down the line!

No comments:

Post a Comment