Saturday, May 30, 2009

Music: Au Revoir Simone @ Williamsburg


Having missed A Camp's New York performance last week (and Lykke Li's sold out performance this coming week) I have sadly had to resort to the home-grown indie music scene, that I must say is not too bad at all!

Au Revoir Simone is an electronic indie-pop all-girl, all-brown-haired, all-American band from Williamsburg and their performance last night in their hometown was just what was called for to alleviate the dejection from a sold-out Lykke Li show. Although my taste in music (really, my magnetism to the 'pop' genre) has been criticized and butchered by sneering music snobs I do feel that Au Revoir Simone raises my iTunes play list bar up a notch in the eyes of many elitists.

Au Revoir Simone's concoction of lazy and insightful lyrics with energetic beats capture the essence of Williamburg-- the little hipster town that is youthful and pulsating yet sage with hard-learnt life-lessons from the "big city". The band's sound can be most characterized as a satisfying mix reminiscent of Suffian Stevens' effervescent and bubbly notes and St. Vincent 's velvety yet unpredictable voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment